Monday, March 19, 2018

Week 7 ... Crooked River

















Hello fam and friends,

This week has been fun!

Monday was P-day so I didn't do anything useful until dinner we ate with a super awesome family and had a lesson on the restoration because Gage who is one of the kids is a new member so we get to teach him and his non member step mom a bunch so that's cool, but that's the only time we taught pretty much all week so yeah it's awesome!

Tuesday we had done conference which was super awesome but it was a seven hour meeting so YEAH. Yeah it was super long so I'll just say the best thing I got out of it, with the priesthood or our calling we are given authority from the Almighty God to access the power of the priesthood we must be righteous and obedient to God's commandments. After that we ate dinner with the Shaffer family and brother Shaffer is the funniest person alive and that's all I can say if anyone wants to know more on that you can ask in a personal email or ask after the mission but he and his family are the best and super missionary minded!

Wednesday we had to go service the car so Elder Beck and I took a trip to Kansas, I didn't know that till we got there cause I fell asleep in the car, I know I'm a sinner I've repented, but that took a bit and we got to get some Krispy Kreams and see the largest mall in American Legends Mall ad we drove by do that was super awesome! We ate ribs at the Rose house and after we unloaded tons and tons of wood at the Thomsons, they are a less active family but want to come back so we enjoy being there. Brad Thomson is a super funny guy and we hung out with him and did service at his house like 4 times this week and he made like the time machine thing from doctor who life size in his garage and I'll see a low quality pic of that from my trashy phone.

Thursday we adventured out to Plattesburg Missouri and did some tracking where nobody answered except for one get nice African American lady who told us she loves Jesus but didn't want to talk to us. We also saw a bunch of African American kids so we will deffinelty go back cause Elder Beck is crazy good at basketball and we want to get in with those people cause they are the best out here, they are super vocal on their love of Jesus so we want to get to know them and get back there a lot. That night we did some more awesome service for Brother Thomson unloading more wood, cause he bought like 2 tons of wood from the Amish here in Missouri, I want to meet some Amish while I'm here, so we did that for like 3 more hours.

Friday in the morning we helped pay down a bunch of time for some people building their home and later that night helped brother Thomson finish unloading his wood with the help of the sisters

Saturday we took a trip to Lee's Summit which is like a hour away with Brother Cooperrider to grab his new fridge and freezer, we then ate sandwiches at his house and helped him unpack and organize tons of stuff in his storage room. After that we spent the rest of the day and night with Brother Thomson cleaning up all the wood left over, organizing his stuff and getting rid of all his trash and we had a super fun time with him and he and his daughter treated us with subway that night so it was an awesome day and we were in service cloths the whole time and I loved that a lot haha 

We got to teach a lesson yesterday on the Sabath Day and it went super well and I'm so grateful for Sunday and the Sacrament it trumps the rest of the week along with our priesthood lesson we had on the priesthood haha the talk from last session of conference The Preisthood and the Saviors Atoning Power by Elder Renlund of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostiles. He compared the priesthood to a rocketship, and explains that we need to be worthy and not have any minor defects because if a rocket has any minor defects then it will malfunction and not perform it's duty. He also explains that the purpose of the priesthood is to help and serve others and invite all to come unto Christ. Anyone that attempts to misuse the priesthood for selfish use won't get anything out of it and if we are worthy to use it then the authority we have will be accompanied with power from God. Some of the brethren in the class shared experiences where blessings were given and some individuals left the church because something they promised didn't happen, but they then admitted to have ignored the spirit. Others shared experiences of following the spirit, which sometimes didn't offer the expected blessings, but in the end all promises came. 

I experienced this a little when I gave my first blessing over someone who was very sick my first week in the MTC. A sister had been throwing up all night and asked for a blessing, I was extremely nervous because I had never given a blessing before and I didn't feel ready, and during the beginning of the blessing I stumbled through. The moment I gained enough confidence to follow the Spirit my mouth was filled and I had never felt or heard that sort of strength of confidence come out of me before and that's because it wasn't really me. In the scriptures it talks about feeling the spirit like a fire in your heart and I felt that during that blessing, I will never forget that experience or that feeling. I love the priesthood, and I'm so grateful that God has enough trust in us to let us use his power.

Also just to finish up, if you ever have a question ever that you need an answer to, Elder Bednar says to write it down and continually think about it as you read the book of Mormon. I read like non stop. I restarted the Book of Mormon about a week and a half ago and I'm 2/3 of the way through Alma and this time through I have gotten so much out of it cause I'll have a question in mind, then just read and that question is answered! When I say ask any question I mean any question.  2 Nephi 32:3- Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do. 
The words of Christ will tell you ALL THINGS which you should do. Whether that's a super deep doctrinal question or where you left your keys ask and ye shall receive, from the words of Christ. If you don't believe me Sister Nelson wife to the prophet said the same thing in her new book, I can't remember the name of the book so you'll have to go find it but I invite all of you to read the Book of Mormon daily, and questions and if you ask in faith you'll get answers. Sister Martino shared that idea from Sister Nelsons book with all the missionaries at the MTC and I tried it and it is stupid cool cause it works haha

Anyways I know the Book of Mormon can change your life cause it's changing mine every time I read it, also read conference talks in prep for GC in like three weeks! I know President Nelson is a prophet and that this Church is true, in the name if Jesus Christ amen

I love all you guys and I pray for you all often so I hope you feel that, I'll send pics in a bit and I'll talk to y'all next week

Elder Andersen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 7 ... Crooked River

Hello fam and friends, This week has been fun! Monday was P-day so I didn't do anything ...